Optical Coherence Tomography Test (OCT)
The OCT is one of the most exciting machines to enter the Optometry / Ophthalmology world. We are proud to be one of the only Optometrists in Markham to have an OCT scanner. An OCT eye exam is used in the diagnosis and management of Diabetes, Glaucoma, Macular Degeneration, and many other ocular diseases affecting the Retina and Optic Nerve. The OCT directly measures the health of the tissue inside the eye, and is one of the most important tools used to detect eye disease and prevent vision loss.
Who needs an OCT scan?
- Diabetic Patients: In diabetic patient a regular OCT eye exam can help with the early detection of diabetic retinopathy; a cause of permanent blindness when left untreated.
- Glaucoma: The OCT is used to monitor patients with glaucoma regularly. An OCT eye exam can determine disease progression and efficacy of treatment
- In patients at risk of developing glaucoma, an OCT scan can be used to detect the disease BEFORE causing vision loss. Vision loss can be preventable.
- Patients with Macular Degeneration and those at risk: Macular Degeneration affects a portion of the retina responsible for central vision, the ability to see directly in front of you, and the only place where we are capable of 20/20 vision. Changes to the macula must be identified as early as possible. Early diagnosis using the OCT eye exam is critical to begin immediate treatment. The stable form of the disease needs to be monitored closely, in most cases, you will not notice when you have progressed to the more serious WET form.
- Unexplained Vision Loss: In patients with decreased vision that cannot be corrected with glasses, an OCT scan can detect many ocular diseases that could be the cause of unexplained vision loss.
As a part of your comprehensive eye examination, our eye specialists at Unionville Optometry will determine if you require an OCT scan.
We service patients from communities throughout the Greater Toronto Area including Markham, Stouffville, Newmarket, North York, Vaughan, Richmond Hill and Pickering, among others.
To book an appointment with our Markham Optometrists Dr. David Innamorato or Dr. Krista Innamorato, please: