Optical Coherence Tomography Test (OCT Scan)
An OCT scan utilizes one of the most exciting pieces of eye care technology to enter the Optometry / Ophthalmology world. Unionville Optometry is proud to be one of the only optometry clinics in Markham Ontario to have an OCT scanner (Optical Coherence Tomography).
An OCT eye exam is used in the diagnosis and management of Diabetes, Glaucoma, Macular Degeneration, and many other ocular diseases affecting the Retina and Optic Nerve. The OCT scanner directly measures the health of the tissue inside the eye and is one of the most important eye care tools used to detect eye disease and prevent vision loss.
Call our Markham Optometry clinic at 905-477-4488 to learn more about the OCT scanner or to book an appointment.
Who Needs An OCT Scan?
- Diabetic Patients: For a diabetic patient a regular OCT scan can help with the early detection of diabetic retinopathy; a cause of permanent blindness when left untreated.
- Glaucoma: The OCT scanner is used to monitor patients with glaucoma regularly. An OCT eye exam can determine glaucoma disease progression and the efficacy of treatment.
- In patients at risk of developing glaucoma, an OCT scan can be used to detect the disease BEFORE it causes vision loss. Vision loss can be preventable.
- Patients with Macular Degeneration (and those at risk): Macular Degeneration affects a portion of the retina responsible for central vision, the ability to see directly in front of you, and the only place where we are capable of 20/20 vision. Changes to the macula must be identified as early as possible. Early diagnosis using the OCT scanner is critical to begin immediate treatment. The stable form of the disease needs to be monitored closely. In most cases, you will not notice when you have progressed to the more serious WET form.
- Unexplained Vision Loss: In patients with decreased vision that cannot be corrected with prescription eyeglasses, an OCT scan can detect many ocular diseases that could be the cause of unexplained vision loss.
Serving the Greater Toronto Area
As a part of your comprehensive eye examination, our eye specialists at Unionville Optometry will determine if you require an OCT scan.
We service patients from communities throughout the Greater Toronto Area including Markham, Stouffville, Newmarket, North York, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, and Pickering.
To book an appointment for an OCT scan with our Markham Optometrists Dr. David Innamorato or Dr. Krista Innamorato, please:
Contact our Unionville Optometry eye clinic.
Email us if you still have questions about our OCT scanner.
OCT Scan Frequently Asked Questions
An OCT scan takes a comprehensive, non-invasive image of the back of the eye including the optic nerve and retina layers using an Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) scanner. The image helps eye doctors to accurately examine, diagnose and treat certain eye diseases like macular degeneration and glaucoma.
Contact Our Markham Optometrists
To learn more about our optometrists, our OCT scanner, or any of our professional eye care services, please reach out to us. To book a professional eye exam please contact our Unionville Optometry eye clinic or call our optometry office at 905-477-4488.